Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Preparing Raw Food

After finding out I had lupus my journey into helping heal my body through diet began. I started reading A LOT! I have read more books and message boards and websites than I can count.

The internet can be both a blessing and a curse in this way.

But in this case I have been brought again and again to eating lots of raw fruits and vegetables and juicing in order to heal your body.  It's kind of easy really.  It's going back to eating very naturally and thinking did God make it or did man package it.

I was never a bad eater, but I've been convicted in the last year to change some things.

I've read books from The Lupus Recovery Diet, to The China Study, and most recently The Hallelujah Diet.  This one I stumbled across. But just finished reading. It's really quite enlightening and as you read some of these books they can be very convicting.

The Hallelujah Diet is based on the Genesis 1:29 principal

"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

For breakfast I'm not very good at making myself things because mornings are generally a bit crazy.  So months ago when I discovered Vega protein powder that is a complete meal and plant based I was really excited.  I love both the vanilla chai and the chocolate. 

In fact we're leaving for a camping trip soon and this will be a MUST have for me to avoid some of the foods I know won't be good for me. 

As for dinner.. I started reading blogs and the recipes in some of my new books. This blog in particular really had my mouth watering. Her pictures make everything look so good.  Then her blog led me to this blog.. and boy I've already signed up for their newsletter.  I'm loving their recipes.

I started out trying the zucchini spaghetti. OH and I was so super excited to actually pull out the Cuisinart we got when we were married 13 1/2 years ago and to discover I could make it work.  I used to have a fear of it.  The whole thing sort of intimidated me so it was relegated to the back of the cupboard and was forgotten years ago.

DO you know it's not that hard and I think it's going to be my new best friend in the kitchen!

Back to the recipe, I loved it. My husband was appreciative, but I wouldn't say it was his favorite. My son tolerated it, but my two daughters. I think the before and after pictures speak for themselves.
You would have thought I was torturing them. It was so sad really.
So I have some work to do to find kid friendly recipes.  It's a challenge.  But I'm up to the task!

No comments:

Post a Comment