Monday, October 3, 2011

tackling tech issues


I am a creative type.
I don't like technical things.
I actually have learned techy things
out of necessity because of my degree
and years working in production.
But it's not what makes my heart sing.


It's a means to an end.


My sister is the type who'll get amped from
reading instruction manuals and figuring things out.  
She's a power tool kind of girl who'll do her
own crown moulding.  I so admire that.


I typically hand that manual over to her or my husband, and beg for help.  I find them overwhelming and I just get all discombobulated in my brain.


Do you know that feeling?


I can go to it quite easily when something is foreign.  I know it's not the best  trait.  So it was time for me to buckle down and take the time to methodically read through manuals and forums and directions.
Because it was time for me to tackle a technical issue that has been driving me koo koo for months.  I mentioned it in a previous post, but can't find it right now.


It's about colors not matching.


When we got a new computer, it no longer communicated properly with our printer.  And my printer is a really good printer.
One I actually asked for as a birthday gift a couple of years ago when this etsy shop was just a dream.  It works lovely with the old computer.  But the old computer is on the fritz.  And I know, one day it will give out on me.


This is such a long story and I don't want to bore you.
The essence is that all kinds of techy guys my husband knows have looked at it and worked on it.  We got a colormunki to calibrate everything.  But it still wasn't right.


I have been so bothered by it, because it's holding me back.
And I'm a perfectionist about my work.  I won't send something
out that doesn't have the colors I designed them to be.


This weekend I spent hours.. Countless hours on the phone with tech support going over drivers, wiping things off the computer and reinstalling things.


And then I knew it was time, for me to break out the colormunki myself and follow the manual.
Do you hear my reservation?


I so, so, so, so didn't want to do this.


But I knew it was time.  I couldn't keep letting this hold me back.
So I buckled down while my husband thankfully was with our kids.
And I had this thing hanging from my monitor
while I methodically followed the precise instructions for setting colors scanning colors and creating profiles by paper.
This is the part of business that isn't so fun.
I'd so much rather spend my time creating.
But this is life isn't it?
It isn't all fun and creative play.
We have to roll up our sleeves and get to work on the things that aren't so fun.


And you know what, when things started clicking and
I started seeing the colors working.
And I realized I was actually getting it.
Do you know the sense of accomplishment I felt?
Let me tell you... this was a process of fighting back tears at times.
Really.. I'm serious.  And lots and lots of prayer.
Because this was not easy for me.
It has been the kind of frustration where you just want to throw in the towel.


But now almost on the other side of it, I'm so, so happy that I pushed myself to follow the tedious directions and actually figured out these technical things. I was ready to hire an expert.
But I think the Lord wanted me to do this myself.
With loads of His help of course.




Now..soon I think we'll be soaring here with the printing and you can expect to see many different kinds of items in the shop.
I feel like a little elf working away.  You can't see the results yet,
but soon, soon you will!


And in the meantime.. I have some super exciting news to share with you.  I've been asked to be a part of a new site called Sashes to the Merchants.  Do you see my button up there on the screen shot?
I had to create it using my super girl..she's my latest favorite.  A little more on why down below)


It's a site for creative women, started up by Ellen from handmade recess and Jessi from Naptime Diaries.  They wanted a place where women who're trying to balance a creative business and a family could come together for biblical encouragement, practical help and community.


I'm so excited to follow along with the growth of Sashes and to share in this journey with like minded women.  Their desire to create community online is one of the ways I feel the internet is used for good and for God's glory.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how the site will be an encouragement and blessing to so, so many.  The site goes live tomorrow so go check it out!


Back to super girl.  She reminds me of me as a five and six year old girl.  I had this deep desire to be wonder woman.
I lived in that costume every day after school that year.
I think there's a little part of every girl and woman who has a desire to be wonder woman.  And you know what, with God's strength we are. 


All we do and juggle, with His help and for His glory.
We are all wonder women in the way we serve our family, friends, community. 


The way we hold our families together.


The way we make hard choices, and push through hard circumstances and choose joy in the midst of struggles, all because we know it's a way to serve Him.  And because even when we don't understand the why's of things, we know He is working them for good.


And thank God we don't have to do it alone, and we don't have to be perfect.


194. unexpected rainfall
195. pushing past fears & frustrations
196. praise music
197. schedules getting into a groove
198. bible study
199. a new opportunity
200. hugs & kisses from my kids
201. hard working creative kids
202. a husband who works hard
203. weekend mornings to hang out and talk

1 comment:

thejoyproject40 said...

Visiting from Ann's. Loving pushing past fear and frustration, schedules getting into a groove and praise music. How exciting to have new opportunities! lisa

Post a Comment